Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh, Pa!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PAPA RITER!
Pops is another year older. And if it weren't for his nest of white hair, you'd never know how old he really is.
On this day, I reflect on some tender moments between a dad and his little girl:
1. When I was little and we'd get those "Adopt Maria" fliers in the mail, you told me you were gonna "trade me in." I cried for a few hours, then you let me off the hook.
2. Homecoming my Freshman year in high school. I never got the chance to get kissed by Steve because you yelled at mom to throw on the porch light and greet us at the door as his car pulled in. He didn't even walk me to the door because he feared retribution. I heard your laughter in the background, by the by.
3. The totally cool moment when you threatened that carload of toolbags that followed me home from school one day. Thankfully, you were already home from work and standing in the driveway. The boys thought they had game when they got out of the car. (I was scared shitless.) You went into the garage, got your gun and posed the poignant question: "Do you dickheads wanna die today?" Yup, the said dickheads left-- never to be seen again! lol
Love you, Dad. You truly are the last of the real men!
xoxo,
RiRi

No comments:

Post a Comment