Monday, April 27, 2009

I'm an adult?

OMG this is the sign of Armageddon.

Someone called me an adult. Me. Adult. Me. Perpetually 25 in my heart. Me. The woman-child. I was complimented, and totally freaked out at the same time.

Only recently have I entertainted the notion of being an "adult." I have a house. I have plants that I haven't killed. And I have a dog. Big accomplishments.

A colleauge and friend of mine called me for advice... because I'm an adult in the business. What? I told her she must've been scraping the bottom of the barrel and ran out of real adults.

Her dilemma-- staying in a fulltime job because it's a fulltime job. She makes shit, gets treated like shit and doesn't give a shit. She wants to leave the aforementioned shit job to pursue something she's interested in-- organic farming.

This chick is young, bright and ambitious. She's a media-type and a fellow writer. This could flourish (like something on a farm-- lol) into a career for her. How hot and niche is organic right now?

She has a part-time gig in radio news. She wants some freelance writing gigs.

My advice: follow your gut/heart. There is nothing worse than having a job for the sake of a job, despite the economy right now. I've been in this position. I've also been without a gig, and while that sucks some major-league sweaty balls, nothing sucks it harder than unhappiness and dis-satisfaction and defeat.

There is no blueprint for living life. Our parents told us that getting an education and pursuing the "American Dream" is the thing to do. They did what they thought was best-- but it doesn't work for everyone.

Who's life are you living? Yours? Or someone else's?

Everything works out as it needs to, when it needs to.

Hugs... The Newly Crowned Adult
RiRi

No comments:

Post a Comment