Monday, May 25, 2009

Cheaper ain't better



Ask a group of freelancers about rates, and the battle will surely get heated. A few of my cohorts are chronic gig bidders. I, do not. I get harrassed perpetually for not joining in on this riualistic, carnivorous pasttime. I refuse. The rates are substandard. Children in third world countries working at Kathie Lee Gifford's sweatshops make more than a freelancer makes after bidding and working hard on a project.

FREELANCE FRIEND

But I won the bid!

RITA

And what exactly did you win?

FREELANCE FRIEND

I'm writing a 500 word article about the mating habits of dolphins. And I'm getting a dollar!

RITA

A dollar per word?

FREELANCE FRIEND

Nooo. A dollar for the project.

RITA

So, let me get this straight. You spent three days bidding on a project, which you won-- yaaay you-- and now you need to spend, at minimum, two hours on the first draft for a dollar.

FREELANCE FRIEND

Yeah. Don't I rock!

RITA

You should be getting paid at least $250 for your 5oo words.

FREELANCE FRIEND

(gets a little testy with her kind, wise friend)

That's why I get more projects than you do.

RITA

You're right. But I out earn you. You may complete a hundred projects and make $200. I can do one project and make $250.

FREELANCE FRIEND

You're too expensive.

RITA

No, I'm not. I put a value on my work. If you don't, a client won't.

FREELANCE FRIEND

Whatever.

=============

Many of my freelance colleagues bid, and bid well. They write a ton of stuff and are satisfied. I'm not knockin' the process. I see so many people busting their chops for little return.

Cheaper isn't better.

P.S. When it's all said and done, "Freelance Friend" and I kiss and make up, then write some prose together. lol

xoxo,

RiRi

No comments:

Post a Comment